Saturday, June 30, 2007

SPINNING ROUND AND ROUND


Guess what I did today? My friend, KS, and I traveled to one of our favorite yarn stores. I can't really classify it as a LYS because is it about 160 miles away! The goal for the day was to learn to spin wool using a drop spindle. For those of you who don't know, a drop spindle is small and looks fairly harmless. Almost like a child's toy top. However, as I was soon to discover, it is not as easy as it appears. Apparently, this method has been used for at least 10,000 years...I know why...it takes that long to master the art! The class started at 11:00 a.m. and was to run to 3:00 p.m. Want to guess when I had my a-ha moment? Approximately 3:05 p.m. I enjoyed the class and learned some things, and am not at all giving in. However, do not expect a skein of sock yarn to roll off of my drop spindle any time soon! All in all, the day was good. KS got to spend some quality time with the yarn and pattern selection, and it was a pretty day for a ride. As a matter of fact, this was one of the many sites of the day.

No comments: